General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Factory Problem 2009 Mini

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Default Factory Problem 2009 Mini

We purchased a 2009 Mini and it ran for 750 miles before break down with engine damage. BMW says they are having problems with ghe gas, the UNITED STATES GETS INFERIOR GAS, THIS CAR ONLY RUNS WELL ON EUROPEAN GAS. The ethanol content burns out the high pressure fuel filter, spark plugs, gas filter. To avoid these problems don't buy a new Mini. Call Sal Talurico at BMW at (201) 263-9228.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Factory Problem 2009 Mini

Strange ... neighbor has a JCW 09 with 6k miles and no troubles , What fuel brand /grade are you using ???

Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 PM

I'm sorry you're having problems with your new MINI. I would not agree with what you are being told by your service advisor. If that was the case MINI would be having this problem with every car shipped to the US. I Might be able to help you through this situation. Go to my website www.LAAutoReferral.com than go to the contact me page. Send me as much information as you can about what is happeing to your car. If you can get something in writing from the service department, it would be very helpful. I might be able to go over it for you and tell you what is going on with your car. Something sounds fishy.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM

I got flamed for this on the VW vortex forums when I owned a 2006 VW Jetta GLI w/2.0 FSI turbocharged engine. I had a fuel injector problem right after I bought the car, and VW attributed the problem to poor fuel quality. I switched from the no-name 93 octane gas(Sheetz or WaWa)I was using to Top Tier gas, i.e. Shell 93 V-power and I never had a fuel system related problem again. Most of the people on the forums said that the whole Top Tier gas thing is bunk. I disagree.

The Mini owner's manual specifically calls for gasoline with a high detergent/low alcohol content and recommends that Top Tier gas is used. If you go to www.toptiergas.com you'll find a list of Top Tier retailers that are in your area. I run nothing but Shell 93 V-power, Texaco 93, or Chevron 93 in my new Mini and 1999 BMW K1200RS that I also own. Those are the three Top Tier brands in my area, but there are at least a dozen retailers on the list from all around the country. It seems that cars with direct fuel injection, which my now-sold VW and our 2007+ Minis have, are especially sensitive to fuel quality. Some may call BS on Top Tier gas, but I'll let my experience speak for itself.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM

My friend had the same problem, but the dealer blamed it on one particular gas station fuel in his are. They said they tested the fuel and the octane rating in his fuel was too low.

Originally Posted by minisucks

We purchased a 2009 Mini and it ran for 750 miles before break down with engine damage. BMW says they are having problems with ghe gas, the UNITED STATES GETS INFERIOR GAS, THIS CAR ONLY RUNS WELL ON EUROPEAN GAS. The ethanol content burns out the high pressure fuel filter, spark plugs, gas filter. To avoid these problems don't buy a new Mini. Call Sal Talurico at BMW at (201) 263-9228.
Originally Posted by AlloAllo
I got flamed for this on the VW vortex forums when I owned a 2006 VW Jetta GLI w/2.0 FSI turbocharged engine. I had a fuel injector problem right after I bought the car, and VW attributed the problem to poor fuel quality. I switched from the no-name 93 octane gas(Sheetz or WaWa)I was using to Top Tier gas, i.e. Shell 93 V-power and I never had a fuel system related problem again. Most of the people on the forums said that the whole Top Tier gas thing is bunk. I disagree.

The Mini owner's manual specifically calls for gasoline with a high detergent/low alcohol content and recommends that Top Tier gas is used. If you go to www.toptiergas.com you'll find a list of Top Tier retailers that are in your area. I run nothing but Shell 93 V-power, Texaco 93, or Chevron 93 in my new Mini cars and 1999 BMW K1200RS that I also own. Those are the three Top Tier brands in my area, but there are at least a dozen retailers on the list from all around the country. It seems that cars with direct fuel injection tires, which my now-sold VW and our 2007+ Minis have, are especially sensitive to fuel quality. Some may call BS on Top Tier gas, but I'll let my experience speak for itself.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Default Me Too

I have a 2009 Mini S Convertible. I've had it a little over a year and its been in the shop at least 4 times. It's there right now, again because it is not starting properly. A month ago they had it for over 2 weeks. Told me to come pick it up they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I didn't even drive it out of the parking space and the check engine light came back on. They ran more diagnostics and said it was a faulty 1st spark plug. Still had issues with starting and then yesterday, the check engine light came back on. No doubt they will have it for another couple of weeks. Can you say LEMON!!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Default Repeated Engine misfires

2009 Mini Clubman has been experiencing repeated misfire codes. Taken it back to dealer 5 times with problem unresolved.

They have replaced all 4 fuel injectors, Vent Valve Cover and plugs. Problem still unresolved...what else can be done? What options do I have...

Anyone else have these issues. Misfire code usually happens when I start up cold.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by chrstilove
I have a 2009 Mini S Convertible. I've had it a little over a year and its been in the shop at least 4 times. It's there right now, again because it is not starting properly. A month ago they had it for over 2 weeks. Told me to come pick it up they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I didn't even drive it out of the parking space and the check engine light came back on. They ran more diagnostics and said it was a faulty 1st spark plug. Still had issues with starting and then yesterday, the check engine light came back on. No doubt they will have it for another couple of weeks. Can you say LEMON!!
I have a similar problem. I start the car and it has no power. It's been towed to the bmw/mini dealership 3 times now. It's a 150 tow so it's exensive under warranty and they can't seem to fix it. Have they figured out what' your problem is/was?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:34 AM

when I stop the car everything is ok. when I start it again 4-5 hours later it has no power. It's been towed to the bmw/mini dealership 3 times now. It's a 150 mile tow so it's expensive under warranty and they can't seem to fix it. I know they change the plugs everytime and no idea what else.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 PM

As of this post my car has been in for the same issues for a week and a half. They ran a fuel line pressure test and it lost pressure over night. Thus they thought they would replace the high pressure fuel pump which has been recalled in BMWs but not Mini.

Now they are claiming the pump is fine and the problem might be loose fuel rail clips.

I am losing hope...

Quick Reply: Factory Problem 2009 Mini